Thursday, March 31, 2011

The music

Just heard one of my favourite songs from NZ on the iPad's shuffle. Wherever I am, in the house working or driving in the car, if a New Zealand band comes on, I am instantly twice as happy as I was two seconds before. Thought I'd put together a little playlist of bands that I discovered there. Last week I even heard one of them on XM's Alt Nation in the car! Yay Kiwis!!!!

OK, so these are from the time spanning last July through February and so they aren't brand new, hot off the presses, but chances are they're new to you! :o)

I'm going to start you off with Tokyo Keys, the first band I noticed a few days into our stay on one of the Auckland radio stations. I tried typing some lyrics into Google to find out who they were, but to no avail. Finally I heard the song again and the DJ actually said who they were, but I couldn't understand what the hell he said! After a few tries on Google again, I finally came up with Tokyo Keys. The first song was Coming Home and they didn't even have anything available for purchase at that point. Now there's an EP on iTunes and I love all of it.

Tokyo Keys

Brooke Fraser. Something in the Water. OMG. FANTASTIC song. I have to buy the whole album.

I've got halos made of summer, rhythms made of spring
What she wears, what she wears, what she wears
I've got crowns of words a-woven, each one a song to sing
Oh I sing, oh I sing, oh I sing

Something In the Water - Single - Brooke Fraser

The Phoenix Foundation did the music for a wonderful Kiwi film called Boy. But that's not even where I first heard them.

The Phoenix Foundation

Young Blood by The Naked and Famous is such a fun song. Play it really, really loud on a nice day with your windows down.

Passive Me Aggressive You - The Naked and Famous

I only know one song by Opshop, but it's cool enough to buy more. And so I'm completing my album at this very moment. Take a listen to Pins and Needles to start with.

Opshop

Let me know if any of you find anything you like here. I'd love to hear what you think!

And now I am off to pick up my doggies at the kennel and get some groceries back into the empty kitchen. Our 25 year old (not kidding) refrigerator conked out over a week ago and it was finally fixed this morning. Huge hooray.

Without music, life would be a mistake ~ Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments:

Post a Comment