Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Glendowie Sand Spit



Hello, everyone! Thought I'd show you some photos from a cool place I discovered last week, the Glendowie Sand Spit, about 10 minutes from our house. In case you don't know what a sand spit is (I didn't) it's a long line of sand deposited by varying currents that extends from a beach. Yep. Trey and I had been to this park (Tahuna Torea Nature Reserve) before, but we didn't get much past the car park because of cold and mud, so I went back to see where the trails might go. They went through lots of wooded areas with various purple, red, and green birds swooping this way and that, and after 15 minutes or so I heard what I thought might be waves. And then there they were! Thrilling to come upon a beach when you aren't expecting one. What a beautiful spot, totally deserted and all I could hear were the birds and the little waves lapping the shore. I sat down in the sun, looked at the colorful shells, and just listened. It was perfect. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment